We are really pleased with all the progress made creating this year’s Harvest Garden. To celebrate all this hard work The Friends of Abbey Gardens are hosting a lunch in the garden:
THE BIG LUNCH ON 19 JULY 2009
This is just around the corner, so while all our salad crops are sprouting keep your fingers crossed that the weather will be on our side for the 19th so that we can enjoy a lunch together in Abbey Gardens.
The program of the day will be as follows:
• 10 - 12am – regular Gardening Club preparing the lunch!
• 12am - garden opens
• 1pm - a small ceremony to mark the completion of the garden including a musical performance by a local resident
• 1:15pm - lunch served, BBQ (provided by Friends), salads grown in Abbey Gardens, home-made bread
• Followed by pudding – this is going to be “Jacob’s Join” so please bring cakes, puddings or fruit to share.
• Anytime - stroll around the garden, check out how the plants are doing, chat and enjoy the day
• Kids can make mud pies or join the “tots drama circle”.
• 4pm - end of Big Lunch
If you are planning to join us for the Big Lunch we would like to ask you to let us know by sending a message to:
mail 'at ' abbeygardens.org by 13 July 2009 so that we have some idea of how big the Big Lunch will be!
Some practical notes:
• We would like to ask you to bring your own picnic stuff (plates, cutlery, cups) and a chair.
• Any donations of other food to share (aside from the puddings) will be welcome, but please can you let us know as part of the RSVP what you would like to make. Home grown produce would obviously go down well!
• The Friends will be supplying some soft drinks and beverages but again you are very welcome to supplement these with a bring your own bottle.
• Please feel welcome to bring any musical instruments for improvised musical entertainment.
• Be prepared for rain or sun – there isn’t much shade in the garden.
We are very excited about the Big Lunch and we hope that many of you will be able to join us on the day to celebrate all the progress we have made together.
Our Big Lunch will be part of a nationwide event – click here for more information